Bobbie Holder, Cody office, 307-527-8560
Joyce Johnston, Powell office, 307-754-8836
Master Gardener Program
The Master Gardener concept originate in the state of Washington in 1972. In 1982 the University of Wyoming held one of its first Master gardener training classes for Extension Agents at the Natrona County Extension Office in Casper.
From the mid 1980's the Park County Extension Service led by agent H. Barbara Richardson sponsored "Annual Garden Seminars" in Powell. After many years of interest in the program, the Park County Master Gardener Program began with the first Master Gardener training sessions held in Powell in 1997. Some volunteer projects today are:
- assisting the horticulturalists in the Park County Extension offices
- teaching Master Gardener training classes
- providing teaching displays at the Arbor Day activities
- assisting the Cody Conservation District, if needed, with the "Living on a Few Acres" classes
- participating in the Cody Conservation District Tree Sale
- writing and contributing articles and photos for the PCMG "The Sage" monthly newsletter
- occasionally writing gardening newspaper articles for the local papers in Cody and Powell
- conducting library talks in Powell and Cody for the public on a full gambit of gardening subjects
- informing the community in education and maintenance of the West Park Hosptical Serenity Garden
- teaching Scouts how to plant flowers in the Krisin Lamb Memorial Garden
- manning a Q & A tabel at various local festivals and Park County Fair
- growing plants in a teaching setting and teaching local elementary school students about various plants and beneficial worms and insects at the University of Wyoming Greenhouse in Powell
- advising resients about new community teaching gardens, and
- attending State, National and International Master Gardener Conferences.
Park County Master Gardeners' largest project came in April 2008, when they hosted the University of Wyoming State Master Gardener Conference in Cody. The conference was very successful and received numerous compliments.
Up Coming Events:
October, 2013 (Note the date is wrong but it is the October Newsletter)